Guitar | Bass | Keyboard | Microphones | Mixers | Audio Interfaces | Sequencers & Software Plugins | Live Sound & PA | Drums | Club & DJ | Accessories | Blowouts

New user to FM8

The place to talk about soft synths like Reason, MiniMoog V, FM8, Reaktor, Massive, Absynth, Albino, Korg Legacy, Pro 53 and more.

Moderator: Tweak

New user to FM8

Postby Namie on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:08 am

Hi there,

I have recently started using FM8 for a synthesis project, however I'm struggling to get to grips with sucessfully making the sounds I'm after. I've had a read through the manual but that seems to have left me feeling a little more confused. I have been given a copy of FM8 however I have no installers so I cant use it outside of uni, and I only have around 3hours a week in uni to use the program. Any help with the basic's would be great, the simpler you can make it the better. I am hoping to be able to get to grips with this program as it seems to be pretty good.

Thank you.

Namie
Namie

Re: New user to FM8

Postby tecnolover on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:19 pm

I remember somewhere online there was a great tutorial on synthesis programming. It had you download a free softsynth that had all the basics, 3 oscillators etc etc.. It covered ASDR envelope programming and all. Try searching for it. Anyway, Start simple with the basics as all softsynths are similar in that respect and varry in complexity in modulation routing and envelope programming. Synth programming is a special craft and not for everyone.
Happy music making!
tecnolover
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Postby bryla on Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:55 am

Explore the presets!!

Yes synths are similar but FM8 is a beast in a whole nother league because of the modulation matrix
Copyright doesn't mean you have the right to copy
bryla
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Multiman on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:29 pm

I have recently started using FM8 for a synthesis project, however I'm struggling to get to grips with sucessfully making the sounds I'm after.

can you explain the kinds of sounds you are after?
Multiman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tweak on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:55 am

If they also have the FM7 on the machine try that. Its much easier than the FM8, where they made the programming part of the interface less intuitive
Tweak
Resident TweakHead
Resident TweakHead

Return to Software SYNTHESIZERS