Guitar | Bass | Keyboard | Microphones | Mixers | Audio Interfaces | Sequencers & Software Plugins | Live Sound & PA | Drums | Club & DJ | Accessories | Blowouts

Pitch correction issues with Melodyne Plug-in 1

What's the best way to use software plugins in the virtual console in your sequencer? DX, VST, TDM, RTAS, Audiosuite. How these are used for tracking and mastering are subjects for discussion here.

Moderator: Tweak

Pitch correction issues with Melodyne Plug-in 1

Postby krm_soundpro on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Hey everyone. I've about decided that Melodyne Plug-in is my favorite pitch correction software. It's just has an all around great user interface and end result. However, as I've used it, I've encountered as few small issues that I can't seem to iron out. First of all, sometimes certain words or phrases can become randomly modulated. When I say this, I mean they sound as if they have a flanger effect on them and there is no apparant cause. All I've been able to do is mess with the modulation and pitch drift of the note(s) until the effect decreases. Sometimes I can't fix it 100% though. This is also a common problems with the "s" sounds in some of my phrases.
Despite these minor problems, the hardest thing I've found to deal with is an "in-between" note pitch. This has suddenly become a major issue for me for a lot of my vocals are very pitchy. It occurs when a note appears to be in between two notes. Now when played on a piano, the note sounds right, but do to the amount of drift and modulation in the vocals, it doesn't in the singer's voice. I've tried even eliminating these factors, allowing the note to be exact, but nothing seems to get it to sound right. It's pretty complex. If anyone has some suggestions on any of these problems please don't be shy. I've only been using Melodyne for half a year and am still just learning. Thanks

GOD Bless
krm_soundpro

Re: Pitch correction issues with Melodyne Plug-in 1

Postby Multiman on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:31 pm

usually the 'flanger' effect is caused by melodyne misreading the pitch. I've found it usually happens when there is some strong harmonic content in the sound that melodyne thinks is the fundamental when in fact it isn't. I think the only thing you can really do in this case is to try and bypass melodyne for that particular note.

In between notes should be able to be corrected simply by sliding the notes into their correct pitch. If the note slides around too much the only thing you can do is reduce the modulation and drift like you say you have done.

I think its important to remember Melodyne is not going to be able to 'fix' bad vocals for you. Its really useful for adjusting minor mistakes that you, for whatever reason, can't re-record -or for creative use to stretch or compress time or pitch. Usually the first sign that a vocal performance was bad on a recording, is use of pitch quantization (ie. removing all pitch drift and modulation). Its the only way to really get unstable vocals 'in tune'. Unfortunately it also means draining the life out of them. There is so much more to singing than simply being in tune.

Its probably not what you want to hear but the definitive answer is most likely to be singing lessons and a lot of practice.
Multiman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tclark101 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:35 pm

I've seen this happen a bit with vocals that I've corrected. One of the big problems is when Melodyne detects a note and puts it into the wrong octave -- the portamento and the note variations get ALL messed up.

One thing to help is to narrow the detection parameters to only the actual note range the notes are in. This will decrease this problem.

If that doesn't help, I sometimes run the vocal through a detection that only specifies a couple notes (like A3 to B3) to get that phrase or word into the right place (everything else will be messed up but that one bit may be detected better) and then paste just that bit into the track.
tclark101

Postby Dozer on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:01 pm

Also insure you are using the fully updated version?
According to update history, things like this have been improved.
Dozer

Return to SOFTWARE Plugins and Mastering Processors