Guitar | Bass | Keyboard | Microphones | Mixers | Audio Interfaces | Sequencers & Software Plugins | Live Sound & PA | Drums | Club & DJ | Accessories | Blowouts

Getting Started in Film Sound design

This forum is for those setting up integrating their studios for TV, video and film productions. Lets add Audio for Games too! If you are pro, tell us about what you do.

Moderator: Tweak

Getting Started in Film Sound design

Postby jimmyweez on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:17 pm

Hello all,
A friend of mine recently asked me to sound design a student film for him. I have a strong background in recording audio and composing, but was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on where to begin with film sound design. I usually use Sonar; will this cut it for sound design? (I know that I can compose well with it) I have access to final cut, pro tools, and Avid editing systems; would these be better? Most of what I will be doing will just be cleaning up the audio from our crappy boom mics, but I would also like to do some creative work with drone sounds and strings, and was wondering if you guys might recommend some sound design programs that you have found particularly helpful. I am grateful for any help or advice you can give me. Thanks.

Chris
jimmyweez

Re: Getting Started in Film Sound design

Postby Neil Parfitt on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:22 am

Any multitrack DAW is overcapable of sounddesign work - but consider that if you are looking to seriously get into it, most post houses will expect nothing less than a Protools session (as it's fussless). Not sure if Sonar does OMF - that could be an option.. but with Protools, they can merge your session seamlessly into theirs.

Of course, use whatever program you currently have available, as editing chops is editing chops regardless of programs.

Cheers,

Neil
Last edited by Neil Parfitt on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Parfitt
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Getting Started in Film Sound design

Postby Rick Levine on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:45 am

Neil Parfitt wrote:Not sure if Sonar does OMF - that is an option..

Sonar does OMF, but read the Sonar docs on what can, and cannot, be transferred in an OMF project file.
Series: Things I Should Have Done Sober, Or Not At All:
4) Coil Tapping Pups: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=76626&p=529582#p529582
3) Guitar Hardware: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=76616
2) Trashing a Humbucker: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=72212
1) Conga Skinning: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=68412
Drum & Desk pics: viewtopic.php?t=57148
Rick Levine
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Return to Doing UTube, Podcasts, Games, Radio, TV, Film