Guitar | Bass | Keyboard | Microphones | Mixers | Audio Interfaces | Sequencers & Software Plugins | Live Sound & PA | Drums | Club & DJ | Accessories | Blowouts

UTube copyright issue

This forum is for those setting up integrating their studios for TV, video and film productions. Lets add Audio for Games too! If you are pro, tell us about what you do.

Moderator: Tweak

UTube copyright issue

Postby CarlosGardel on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:25 pm

HI all, I don't know if this issue has already been discussed, I didn’t find it. My question is: Can I shoot and upload to the Web a video of me playing a cover of someone else’s composition, as long as I give the credits? Or, do I need to get a previous authorization in order to do so? I was wondering because you can watch, in any streaming video web site, a lot of covers and no one is complaining about it…. If you buy some score, and then you performed it in public (call it a wedding or whatsoever) or upload your performance on UTube, does it fits in public performance prohibition? Could I be liable fo this?
CarlosGardel

Re: UTube copyright issue

Postby Multiman on Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:53 pm

you can watch, in any streaming video web site, a lot of covers and no one is complaining about it

Actually a lot of people complain about it, there's just very little they seem to be able to do.

The venue that hosts any performance or broadcast of copyright music (nightclub, radio station, church, etc.) needs to buy a license to do so. Crediting the original composer isn't enough. (unless the 'credit' is directed to his/her bank account of course) You basically need the copyright owner's permission.

When it comes to internet broadcast and publishing however its really the wild west since the whole thing is almost impossible to enforce. For Studio Central ultimately its up to Tweak to decide.
Multiman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: UTube copyright issue

Postby Rick Levine on Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:11 pm

A guy had some great utube guitar lessons up for awhile. He had to take them down because he was playing cover songs during the lessons. Can't do it. So hey, write your own, eh? :mrgreen:
Series: Things I Should Have Done Sober, Or Not At All:
4) Coil Tapping Pups: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=76626&p=529582#p529582
3) Guitar Hardware: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=76616
2) Trashing a Humbucker: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=72212
1) Conga Skinning: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=68412
Drum & Desk pics: viewtopic.php?t=57148
Rick Levine
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Return to Doing UTube, Podcasts, Games, Radio, TV, Film