Guitar | Bass | Keyboard | Microphones | Mixers | Audio Interfaces | Sequencers & Software Plugins | Live Sound & PA | Drums | Club & DJ | Accessories | Blowouts

Acid Pro 6.0

The three of these together make a complete audio/MIDI/video/ creation and editing suite

Moderator: Tweak

Acid Pro 6.0

Postby JeremyM on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:10 am

Anyone using/used Acid Pro? How does it fare in comparison to the other popular sequencers. I don't hear much talk about it.
JeremyM

Postby Neil Parfitt on Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:14 am

Acid pro is the equivalent Apple "Garage Band" at a more detailed level. Coincidentally, I think Apple stole the Garageband concept from Sonic Foundry's "Super Dooper Music Looper" released in 2001 (minus the notation/MIDI - everything else is the same!!)

The hype surrounding Acid fizzled out after a few years at Version 3 - and this may have been because of the Sony takeover... who knows?! It sort of came and went the way Rebirth was here in full force and heard *everywhere* and then suddenly... gone without a trace (anyone remember that??)

It's very powerful if you're working with audio loops. The last time I played with it was just as they were starting the integration of VSTi/DXi instruments - so I can't give you any info on the current MIDI integration.

Download the demo from Sony - most of their demos are fully unlocked versions that work for 30 - 60 days.
Neil Parfitt
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Postby TimOBrien on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:07 am

Actually, the guys who originally wrote ACID wrote Garageband for Apple (from what I understand.)

The biggest reason ACID fell from grace with the recording community was that they didn't really support MIDI. Now that ACID6 has incorporated Midi into the program, it's as viable as any other sequencer.

Sequencer choice is just a highly subjective thing (unless you need to be compatible with someone else's setup). Whatever works for you and your workflow is just fine as long as you are happy with the output.

The only way to find that out is to try the demos.

(Personally, I wish Sony would roll ACID's midi support into Vegas. I'm also doing video editing and I wish I could use just ONE application for audio and video editing....)
TimOBrien
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Postby jar4ever on Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:16 pm

It has full multi-track audio recording capabilities now, but I think it's clumbsy in that area compared to other sequencers that have been doing audio recording much longer. As far as editing and throwing together loops I think it's the quickest and easiest to use, everything seems very intuitive to me. You just gotta try it out and find out if it's for you, but I wouldn't use it if you main thing is recording a mixing multi-track audio.

I'm pretty sure Vegas has full MIDI capabilities. I haven't done a ton of MIDI stuff on it, but I remember recording some MIDI tracks and playing around with them just fine.
jar4ever
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Postby Spy! on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:02 pm

I will be slightly biased in my opinion because I started with Acid (Free, then Music, then Pro 4, 5 and now 6) but, for me, I find it really easy to use. The sound quality is good (but, and I know someone will shoot me down for this, others sound better, e.g. Samplitude) and the features in the latest version mean that you can use it in a variety of ways according to your needs.

It's great as a sketchpad (as pointed out above) but just because it's good with loops doesn't mean that that's all it can do. The MIDI is greatly improved but is still not on a par with Cubase (or probably Sonar, but I can't give an opinion on that because I don't use it). Other features, such as it can be used as a Rewire host or client (but not at the same time, of course), make it very versatile depending upon what other software you're running. And, as also previously mentioned, it can now (finally) do multi-track recording, although again it's not up to the standard of Cubase for flexibility - however it is only about half the price for all the features and most of the functionality.
Spy!
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Acid Pro 6.0

Postby lateralus13 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:53 am

i use acid pro 6 for all my recording and mastering, i rescently bought cubase and i still prefer acid pro, the one thing acid is famous for is how easy it is to created and edit loops, and all the vst's ive used for it have been awesome, give or take a few, but in all, sony acid pro 6 is by far the best tool for someone who is just starting and wants a sequencer with an easy to understand lay out, and user friendly buttons, nothing flashy and fancy, its right to the point.
One down fall I noticed with acid pro 6 compared to its counter parts 4 and 5, is they made it really tricky to edit things like track fuzz, and what not, because they added the midi automation button.
but i give it a 7/10 based on my knowledge of popular sequencer software.
Ben Jammin
http://www.sacarious.tk Official Website
http://www.soundclick.com/benjamminbc Some of my tunes

lateralus13
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Blue Bear Sound on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 am

lateralus13 wrote:i use acid pro 6 for all my recording and mastering

Mastering????

I don't think that word means what you think it means......
Just in case you didn't notice, this place has sadly died due to spam overuns and a total lack of Admin upkeep.
But feel free to sign up at http://www.recordingstudiocentral.com where we've started fresh!

bruce valeriani - mix engineer
Blue Bear Sound
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: Canada's capital................... (no that's NOT Toronto, skippy!)

Postby lateralus13 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:44 pm

good call, to me it means finnishing up a song, (to my knowledge), im still learning, but all the songs ive ever made/recorded i have finnished with sony acid pro.
whats mastering mean :(
Ben Jammin

lateralus13
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby juang on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:58 pm

JeremyM wrote:Anyone using/used Acid Pro? How does it fare in comparison to the other popular sequencers. I don't hear much talk about it.

hows it goin, my name is juan. i been using acid since 2.0pro. i love it!! you don't see many people talkin about it on this site. i been waiting for someone to tell me what makes the other DAW that much better! are we missing somethin?? also do you own any control surfaces?? i want to buy the MACKIE UNIVERSAL but i want to make sure it works WELL with ACID before i shell out 1,300 bucks plus another 800 for the extender.
juang

Postby lateralus13 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:00 pm

juang wrote:
JeremyM wrote:Anyone using/used Acid Pro? How does it fare in comparison to the other popular sequencers. I don't hear much talk about it.

hows it goin, my name is juan. i been using acid since 2.0pro. i love it!! you don't see many people talkin about it on this site. i been waiting for someone to tell me what makes the other DAW that much better! are we missing somethin?? also do you own any control surfaces?? i want to buy the MACKIE UNIVERSAL but i want to make sure it works WELL with ACID before i shell out 1,300 bucks plus another 800 for the extender.

in acid pro 6 (what i have) you can go into preferences and set it to mackie controle 8)
Ben Jammin

lateralus13
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby applejuicerss on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:10 am

When tomorrow turns in today, yesterday, and someday that no more important in your memory, we suddenly realize that we are pushed forward by time. This is not a train in still in which you may feel forward when another train goes by. It is the truth that we've all grown up. And we become different.

applejuicerss

Return to Acid, Vegas and Sound Forge