Guitar | Bass | Keyboard | Microphones | Mixers | Audio Interfaces | Sequencers & Software Plugins | Live Sound & PA | Drums | Club & DJ | Accessories | Blowouts

Best large condenser mic around $100

This topic is devoted to Microphones. Discover which works well with certain instruments, vocals, and recording environments. Mic setup and placement techniques and outfitting a Microphone Cabinet for home and pro studios are also discussed here.

Moderator: Tweak

This poll is for the best large condenser mic around $100

Studio Projects B1
38%
Audio Technica AT2020
29%
Marshall MXL 2006
12%
Behringer B1
13%
M-Audio Nova
7%

Total votes : 228

Best large condenser mic around $100

Postby admin on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:41 am

The best large condenser mic around $100

Audio Technica AT2020 Image

Studio projects B1Image

MXL2006 Image

[url=http://www.zzounds.com/a--3745/sid--poll/item--BEHB1] Behringer B1
Image [/url]

M-Audio Nova Image

Samson C03Image
Last edited by admin on Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit TweakHeadz Lab! and Audio-Pro-Central! Check out Tweak's Amazon based Audio Pro Shop

Peace always and keep it "G" (green)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Katzegott on Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:38 pm

Someone want to post why they chose what? Im interested to hear some comparisons here.

Thanks
Katzegott
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby poprocks01 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:46 am

I didn't vote, b/c I don't have experience with any of the choices except the Nova. I got two for $130, which was steal. However, they are noisy and do not have nearly the accurate, clear, clean, crisp sound that my Studio Projects C1 has. I use them for drum overheads, and sometimes on acoustic guitars and such. They look cool and they are cheap. Hard to argue with a large diaphragm condenser at that price.
2.4g P4/1g RAM/MOTU 828mkii/Sonar 4 Producer/Avalon 737/Waves/Antares

http://www.adamgershon.com
poprocks01

Postby Komoney on Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:20 pm

those are def. not some of the best mics i've seen in that price range i mean theres still the MXL 990 thats $60 and the MXL V63M studio Microphone thats $100 and those are some of the best quality mics i've used in the price range up to 400
The King Has Come
Komoney

Postby palatino on Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:54 am

If a person could up the price a little bit, the Rode NT1-a is a great inexpensive purchase. I have no experience with the other mics mentioned.
palatino
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby RevMen on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:29 pm

I think the problem with this poll is that very few people will have a respectable amount of experience with more than one of these microphones. If you have $300 to spend on a vocal mic, you're not going to buy 3 of these mics, you're going to buy a single mic for $300. Furthermore, if you have a $100 mic, your next vocal mic will probably not be another $100 mic, you'll probably save up for something better.

People aren't going to vote for "the best," they're simply going to vote for what they have. In essence, this isn't a poll about microphone quality, it's a poll about microphone sales.

Still, it's interesting to see how people feel about these mics, which are a very important part of home studios. In their early stages, studios simply can't justify spending more than $100 on a mic.
RevMen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dugz Ink on Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:29 pm

I use the Samson C01 for laying down rough vocals on work demos. It looks like the C03 has the same diaphram and chassis. However, the C01 doesn't offer the various pattern settings or the high-pass filter that are on the C03.

The quality is surprising for such an inexpensive mic; I never thought that I could have that much clarity and so little noise out of a $70 mic. It's still no match for an AKG 414B (which I've used at a pro-studio that does voice-overs)... but the C01 is a massive step up from the $60 cardoid mics.

I would recommend either one as a decent "first" vocal mic.

D~s
So I asked this God a question, and by firm reply he said "I'm not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays." Jethro Tull
Dugz Ink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Sloom on Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:58 pm

I've just picked up an MXL V63M, and did a little speaking thing to get to know it a bit. Sounds great, so far, it's certainly a step-up from a 57 or a 58, in that there's more detail evident. I'm getting a nice, full sound with it set just right in front of me; my voice has a good bit of 'upper-ish' mids, but I'm finding I can accomodate it acceptably with positioning. Working out so far.
This is my first large-diaphragm, so I know nothing. Bliss...
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it"
-The Grubs
Sloom

Postby mrlefty on Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:13 pm

I would like to put in a "write in" vote for the Oktava MK319. I purchased two of these after checking out my friend's MK219. I was VERY impressed with the sound of his Taylor guitar combined with his MK219. I've used the 319 as a vocal mic, instrument mic, and even as overheads on my drum kit. They sound great on every application I've tried.
mrlefty

Just purchased a ADK condenser mic

Postby Mr Blues on Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:54 am

Just brought a condenser diaphragmic ADK A-51 from Turnkey in london's West End , I got for £99.00 anyone familier with this make, I have just brought a digital 8 track with phantom Power and looking forward to experimenting.

This is a great board guys.

Dave
Mr Blues

Postby Blue Bear Sound on Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:18 am

I tested out an AT2020 for a client recently... not a bad mic on a budget at all.... it's on the bright side, but not overly harsh and it sounds clean.

Audio-Technica lists one of its features as "virtually no proximity effect" -- which is true, the mic has almost no proximity issue - which can be good in certain cases.

What they don't make clear is WHY there is almost no proximity effect -- it's because the low-end roll-off starts at around 200Hz! So this mic can be useful for a number of applications, but none that include handling any low-end detail....

I can't comment on any of your other options since I've never heard them at all....
Last edited by Blue Bear Sound on Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just in case you didn't notice, this place has sadly died due to spam overuns and a total lack of Admin upkeep.
But feel free to sign up at http://www.recordingstudiocentral.com where we've started fresh!

bruce valeriani - mix engineer
Blue Bear Sound
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: Canada's capital................... (no that's NOT Toronto, skippy!)

Postby Sloom on Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 am

I've also tried my MXL V63M with some acoustic sounds: Playing the top of a "mixed-nuts" can like a finger drum into it, various vocal sounds, etc., and have gotten great results, in general. Got all the detail out of the "nut can", which bodes well for recording 'smaller' sounds as novel alternatives to conventional instruments...

That's the first user-review I've seen of the AT2020; so that's helpful for knowing my next mic move- I was considering one. From your comments, Blue Bear, I know I need something else, so thank-you for posting!
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it"
-The Grubs
Sloom

Postby busto1 on Tue May 24, 2005 4:15 am

I have two MXL's and found that they sound sweet for the money.
busto1

Postby Dot on Fri May 27, 2005 11:01 pm

We've tested out all the budget mics on the market over the past few years. In our opinion, at The Listening Sessions, the best condenser under $100 is the Studio Projects B1. It's a true workhorse mic and sounds great on just about any source - amps, acoustic gtr, drum OH's, toms, and some vocals. Also the Oktava MK319 – which is a little darker than the B1 – and both mic are complementary. The MK319 took one of the top places in a drum OH shootout – doing better than even more expensive mics.

Honorable mention to the MXL 990 – even though it's not a large condenser mic. It's actually a side-address small condenser which is essentially an MXL 603S in a larger mic body. It was made by MXL for GC.
Dan Richards
The Listening Sessions
Pro Audio Consulting Services
Direct Toll-Free (866) 409-3686
-------------------------------------
Yackin' about gear and recording techniques at Studio Forums
Dot

Postby Tweak on Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:10 pm

Thanks for those results!
Tweak
Resident TweakHead
Resident TweakHead

Postby slaphappygarry on Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:09 pm

i have the m-audio nova which is ok for what it costs although i wouold now stretch a little more and get something a bit better.

It has NO pad switches on it and distorted easily (even with the gain on my soundcard turned at its lowest. I sorted this by running it through a DI and using thats -20db switch.

secondly, its noisy and hissy when its gain is up. Again not a major flaw but an anoyance

For a sub $100 mic i shouldnt really complain but its worth pointing out. I think i got my moneys worth out of it and have not been dissapointed with its reliability and built quality.
did you know that 86% of statistics are made up on the spot?
slaphappygarry

Postby jason on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:38 pm

I've been using the AT2020 for about 3 months now, mainly for vocals, and I really can't say anything bad about it. Although I admit, I haven't used any high-end mic's so I can't make any comparisons, but honestly I think it is a pretty good mic, entry level or not.
jason
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Paj on Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:41 pm

I might have included the Octava MK-319 and the JoeMeek JM37 (and JM47).

. . .and: DOES THE AT2020 BELONG IN THE LDC CATEGORY? I thought that it only had a 16mm diaphragm?

Paj
8^)

P.S.: Friends of mine recently replaced a church-installed pair of AKG C1000s mics with a set of AT2020 mics and they're extremely happy with the results for their chior and services.
Paj

Postby Ray Wong on Tue May 09, 2006 6:14 pm

Why is Samson C03 not included in the poll? Just curious.
Ray Wong

Postby assai on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:26 am

i've tryed at2020, behringer b - 1,studio projects b - 1 and m - audio nova..most of all i liked m - audio nova.. at2020 is a really big [deleted], behringer b -1 has terible "sss", studio projects is not so bad but m - audio nova is much better..
assai

Postby Tweak on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:50 am

Paj wrote:I might have included the Octava MK-319 and the JoeMeek JM37 (and JM47).

. . .and: DOES THE AT2020 BELONG IN THE LDC CATEGORY? I thought that it only had a 16mm diaphragm?

Paj
8^)

P.S.: Friends of mine recently replaced a church-installed pair of AKG C1000s mics with a set of AT2020 mics and they're extremely happy with the results for their chior and services.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--3745/item--AUTAT2020
Tweak
Resident TweakHead
Resident TweakHead

Postby Tweak on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:53 am

I can't go back and add to the poll without skewing the results. I redo the polls as products are discontinued or new products that are really great come around.
Tweak
Resident TweakHead
Resident TweakHead

Postby Steven00b on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:19 pm

Can anyone comment on the use of any of these mics as a drum overhead?
Steven00b

vocal mic

Postby washburn on Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:37 am

i wanted to buy a Studio Project B1. They sell at ebay for about $120 (w/ shipping, although ive seen an auction end for $170 for 2 mics).

But, ive seen a Behringer B1 for only $65 (almost half; wo/ shipping), and i bought it! Only later ive read all the bad reviews, like the ones here!

Have i made a good buy? The thing is a use the behrigner eurorack mixer's pre-amp, so theres no point of spending too much on a mic anyway.

thanks.
washburn

Postby doybins on Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:34 am

Blue Bear Sound wrote:I tested out an AT2020 for a client recently... not a bad mic on a budget at all.... it's on the bright side, but not overly harsh and it sounds clean.
peace sir blue bear!just got a deal(via phone) guy selling his at- 2020 for 70% of the price($99.00) for about two studio usage only(he says) this is probably my take already since last month, when i was unlucky racing for a SP-b1 for the same price(but included the mount :( )which i was just half-a-day late when another buyer snagged the deal(hehe) what a blessing!thanks sir blue bear for the post!i hope no one goes ahead from me with this.hehehe.gbu
ROCK WITH GOD
ROMANS 1:16
doybins
Silver Member
Silver Member

Next

Return to Recording with MICROPHONES