Guitar | Bass | Keyboard | Microphones | Mixers | Audio Interfaces | Sequencers & Software Plugins | Live Sound & PA | Drums | Club & DJ | Accessories | Blowouts

Mic PreAmp Poll $100-$250

Preamps are one of the MOST important links in the audio chain. The better ones are unavoidably expensive. So before you plunge, learn about what is out there so you can make the Right choice for your studio and your budget.

Moderator: Tweak

Ok, we got 2 bills and we need a pre

M-Audio DMP3
35%
PreSouns BlueTube Stereo
29%
DBX 286a
9%
ART TPS II 2 ch
18%
Behringer T1953 Tube Ultragain
8%

Total votes : 191

Mic PreAmp Poll $100-$250

Postby Tweak on Fri May 05, 2006 8:25 pm

Last edited by Tweak on Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tweak
Resident TweakHead
Resident TweakHead

Postby lilguitar on Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:45 pm

I realize that this is a fairly new poll, well almost two months old, but only 7 people have responded. Has no one really used the PreSonus Bluetube DP? I'm wondering how it compares to the Tube Pre, I asumme they are pretty much the same only two channels. Anyone upgrade to this by chance and can compare it? Thanks.
lilguitar

DMP3

Postby Marianop on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:33 am

I have the DMP3, and I am extremely happy with this preamp. I would prefer to have an Avalon or an RNP. However, those babies are way out of my budget. Thus, the DMP3 takes my vote for its bang for the buck.
We are all citizens of the cosmos!
Marianop

Postby mamm7215 on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:39 pm

Well I got the bluetube dp and it's fine. Tons of gain, 48v phantom and the ability to blend the amount of tube circuit or turn it off completely leaving only the solid state pre-amp and it's got class A circuitry. I listened to both and I've read a lot of posts about how the m-audio is way cleaner but a lot of these a/b's were with the bluetube, not the bluetube dp. It's a different animal than the predecessors and as far as low-mid range pre's go, if you think it's going to make your music better, you shouldn't be home recording...
Strat, acoustic, UB1202, PC DAW w/Sonar 5PE, lots of plugs/softs, Yorkville YSM1p's, Roland D20, Art MPA Gold, Art PRO VLA.
mamm7215

Postby tony conley on Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:00 pm

Used the blue tube at a friend's studio in Sacramento back in November....It did a fine job, going into a Roland workstation....Warmed things up nicely....
tony conley

Postby Rod J. on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:27 pm

Tweak,
I have the Behringer T-1953 and it does what they claim it said! Tube warmth is sort of subtle (thinking about replacing with some premium tubes) but really does boost the signal to a useable level! I enjoy it! I thought I had a bad channel last night only to find out it was a routing issue! Thank God! Everything a "GO" so far! :D
Thanks,
Rod J.
"I make it a strong point to never try to match wits with a unarmed person"
Rod J.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Blue Bear Sound on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:22 pm

Rod J. wrote:I have the Behringer T-1953 and it does what they claim it said! Tube warmth is sort of subtle (thinking about replacing with some premium tubes) but really does boost the signal to a useable level!

Umm.... "tube warmth" has NOTHING to do with any sort of level boost. Any mic pre's function is to raise the signal from mic to line level....

The only thing tubes do in budget configurations is add a slight coloration to the signal. The level gets raised regardless of whether the tube is in the circuit or not.
Just in case you didn't notice, this place has sadly died due to spam overuns and a total lack of Admin upkeep.
But feel free to sign up at http://www.recordingstudiocentral.com where we've started fresh!

bruce valeriani - mix engineer
Blue Bear Sound
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: Canada's capital................... (no that's NOT Toronto, skippy!)

Postby Rod J. on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:11 pm

Blue Bear Sound,
Reguardless of what you say, I like mine! :D :D :D :D :D
Entry Level or not! Any suggestions on Tube replacements? Brands? Tube Numbers? Etc...?
Thanks,
Rod J.
Rod J.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby The Miles Park on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:15 pm

I am deeply considering getting that behringer. But I have read reviews of quality issues, channels and lights going out. Anyone else have anything to say about it?
The Miles Park
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nanashiwanderer on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:26 am

do a forum search behringer is a jack of all trades and a master of none, i speak as owner. There products are of exceptional value price to features, but they are not any mean quality. Behringer Gear is generally they get the job done, and anyone else would cost 3xs as much. I've had 3 pieces of gear from them, V-amp 2, a guitar amp, a mixer. I've used there effects pedals. The quality isn't anything compared to other brands, theyre components are generally plastic when other brands use metal ect. Sound quality wise compared to other gear in the same class (IE: Small format mixers with small format mixers, Solid state guitar amp to another solidstate guitar amp with similar features) they tend to be somewhat inferior to their competitor... but depending on how heavily use your gear (I use my V-Amp 2 for silent practice nothing else really), its often justifiable to buy behringer equipment over another brand. That being said i wouldn't buy any piece of behringer gear in the intension of it being my primary piece of gear. I'd buy it to learn on, or something to fill an immediate need until I move to something better, or a secondary piece of equipment for back ups or rare circumstance when I need a particular function met.
nanashiwanderer

Postby Steve Foreman on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:03 am

I have the two Presonus Blue Tubes Very good sound for the money I I think. I use them with my Bass Guitar Shure Beta 57, Shure Beta 58A, and Electro Voice Dynamic, AKG Perfection 200 and Neumann TLM 103 for 3D animation sound tracks. :D
PowerMac 2gHz Daul G5
Software: Apple Logic Pro 7.2
Interface: MOTU 2408 MKIII, MOTU 24i
Preamp: Presonus Eureka, (2) Dual Path BlueTubes, DigiTech VTP-1 Dual Vacuum Tube/EQ, Behinger Tube Ultragain T1953
Mic: Neuman TLM 103 & a host of other mics
Monitors: Alesis Monitor MK II & Sub Woofer
Extras: Mackie Surface Control & two Extension Controls
Listening mixes: Mackie 1202 and Alto six channel headphone mixer
And a host of other do-dads

www.dvfxstudio.com
Steve Foreman

What About The Line 6 Tone Port?

Postby scottanderson on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:52 pm

This is in that same price range and emulates a number of preamp sounds. I suppose I've horrified the purists, but we're talking about a budget preamp solution here. I'm interested in any opinions.
scottanderson

Postby _controlfreak on Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:08 pm

D
M
P

Relatively clean, clear, and loud. Add whatever "warmth" or junk you want after you've got a good source for the money.
I HAVE LEFT STUDIO-CENTRAL...
...and am now at RecordingStudioCentral.com
_controlfreak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jar4ever on Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:10 pm

The RNP is under $250 per channel. Does it qualify? :P
jar4ever
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

re:

Postby taskforce on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:27 pm

How about a comparison of the old Blue Tube to the new one?

I personally just bought one of the older models from Ebay, which I prefer over the newer ones. Nice and dirty.
taskforce

Postby Rod J. on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:37 pm

The Miles Park wrote:I am deeply considering getting that behringer. But I have read reviews of quality issues, channels and lights going out. Anyone else have anything to say about it?

No channels or lights out on my bro! I like it for how it sounds and what it does and so will you!
Rod J.
Rod J.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Dual BlueTube

Postby Steve Foreman on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:04 am

I used them recently to record a ballad style singer. I used i with a Neumann TLM 103 and accent mics with them with some marshall 603s. The sound was bight but fat and not so surgical digital. and in your face up close and person, which is what the artist wanted. They madwe the mic sound strong and louder than other $200 Tube I've heard and more pronunced. The ability to dail in just the right amount of tube warmed so great. I cound hear the difference clearly. I Try the Behinger 1953 and it was kind of a thin tube warmth compared. I put a grove tube in the behinger 1953 it it sounded super-great actually better the the Bkuetube.

The old tube don't sound as good as the newer dual BlueTubes in my opinion. The Nwer is more pronounced and can get warmer and cleaners.
PowerMac 2gHz Daul G5
Software: Apple Logic Pro 7.2
Interface: MOTU 2408 MKIII, MOTU 24i
Preamp: Presonus Eureka, (2) Dual Path BlueTubes, DigiTech VTP-1 Dual Vacuum Tube/EQ, Behinger Tube Ultragain T1953
Mic: Neuman TLM 103 & a host of other mics
Monitors: Alesis Monitor MK II & Sub Woofer
Extras: Mackie Surface Control & two Extension Controls
Listening mixes: Mackie 1202 and Alto six channel headphone mixer
And a host of other do-dads

www.dvfxstudio.com
Steve Foreman

Postby Rod J. on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:05 pm

Hey Steve!
How do you like that Presonus Eureka? :roll:
Rod J.
Chester,Va.
Rod J.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby MartyMcFly on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:32 pm

The Miles Park wrote:I am deeply considering getting that behringer. But I have read reviews of quality issues, channels and lights going out. Anyone else have anything to say about it?

Vegas, baby, Vegas! Roll the dice.... When you hear both good and bad reviews to both extremely, people must be passionate about the gear! Whether you love it or hate it, Behringer sure spawns some discussion.

Personally I'm not a fan of Behringer but voted for the T1953 becuase you can hotrod it! I think with some new tubes and replacing some op amps you'd still be within budget.
"There are lies, d*mned lies, and statistics."

- Mark Twain
MartyMcFly

Postby kernmount on Thu May 31, 2007 1:59 pm

I've had a DMP3 for 3 months now, and I am a little under-whelmed by it, although I think it's the best out of the ones in this poll, IMO.

I do not find it warm. It's pretty neutral and a smidgen on the brittle side. Of course placement and the mic selection are key here. On the upside, I really like the sound of it via my SM57s, even though gain seemed to be an issue.

The meters are silly.

But heck, it's only $160.00USD. What do you expect? It's certainly worth that.
Ryan Kern-Mount

“The future masters of technology will have to be light-hearted and intelligent. The machine easily masters the grim and the dumb."- Marshal McLuhan

My Songs
kernmount
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Postby versechorusjvh on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:25 am

I use the BlueTube DP as my main Pre besides the 4 focusrite pre's in my digi 002, and it suits me just fine

but does anybody else find the "tube blend" thing pretty useless? for me it seems like it just adds a really crappy, solid-state sounding 'crunch' (like a crate practice amp)
versechorusjvh

V ery N I Ce

Postby KrAzYKeyZ on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Relatively clean, clear, and loud. Add whatever "warmth" or junk you want after you've got a good source for the money.

nicely done
KrAzYKeyZ

Re: Mic PreAmp Poll $100-$250

Postby telecasterguru on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:29 am

I have Behringer Mic2200 which I have used rarely with my MAudio Project Mix (it basically fell apart after a couple of uses) but have just bought a Presonus Blue Tube second hand and find it to be great and would recommend. Sounds clean and clear. Very good value.
telecasterguru

Postby Nanashi on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:21 pm

Theres one not on this poll, thats kind of a bit harder to find. The RANE MS1b. Gotta a lot talk 7 or 8 months ago, as being probably the best in this category, especially interms of whats going inside it.
Only iFix; Only iProduce!
"Assume nothing" -Prof. G.
"The United States invariably does the right thing, after having exhausted every other alternative."-Winston Churchill
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." -Winston Churchilll
Nanashi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Equilibrium8 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:40 am

No mention of the DBX anywhere here... Surely a dedicated solid state would beat the half-assed tubes in this price range...
Mandarin Voiceovers and Localization
http://lcmsmedia.com/
Equilibrium8

Next

Return to Microphone PREAMPS